Bed bug sprays are among the many products available in the market to get rid of the bed bugs. This method of killing the bed bugs is a DIY method for a quick and hassle less knockout of the bed bugs. Sprays are the first line of treatment that is employed before calling the pest-control authorities. Most of them belong to either the chemical or the non-pesticide spray category. The chemical sprays contain Permethrin that kills the bed bugs. The natural sprays contain extracts of plants such as peppermint, clove, coconut oil, lavender, chrysanthemum flower that keeps away the bed bugs. The efficacy of a bed bug spray depends on the severity of the bed bug infestation.
Notable Features of Bed Bug Sprays
- The chemical bed bug sprays are normally non-toxic and are safe on humans and pets. They come in ready-to-use format and easy to use.
- Both residual as well as non-residual types of bed bug sprays are available in the market. The effect of residual sprays is longer, since it kills the bed bugs even in the dry state. Therefore, it is safe to use such sprays in places of less human contact. Non-residual sprays have lesser efficacy and are suitable for items such as mattress, furniture and box springs. This will kill the bed bugs on contact and is ineffective in its dry state.
- Bed bug sprays use either oil or water as the base. Oil based bug sprays consist of pyrethrum and piperonylbutoxide and prone to leave stains. Water based sprays consist of deltrmethirin and is usable on any surface.
- These are available in the form aerosol or liquid concentrates. Application of aerosol lasts up to a month while liquid spray is effective for about two to three months.
Precautions for Bed Bug Sprays
- Purchase a single brand of bed bug sprays to make it more efficacious. Mixing the brands may hamper in killing the bed bugs and eggs.
- Few sprays cannot be used on mattress and sofa due to the high potency of the chemical present in the spray.
- Go for non-residual bed bug sprays on items that have frequent human contact, such as mattresses, upholstery, couch, etc.
- Remove all the clutter from the infested area before treating the bed bugs. Thorough washing, vacuuming of the mattress and other items is often required before the application of the spray. This helps in the removal of bedbugs and eggs.
- Read instructions carefully before applying any spray.
Administration of Bed Bug Sprays
Sprays are effective when applied on crack, crevices, switchboard plates, mattress, baseboard, box springs, carpets, headboards, windowsills, etc. Place sticky tape on the floor of the area to catch the bed bugs. Each treatment requires at least two weeks of a waiting period before moving back the items to the room. The area must have good ventilation to have maximum effects of a bed bug spray.
Brands for Bed Bug Sprays
Sterifab, BestYet, Phantom, Kleen Green and Bug Patrol are some of the popular brands of bed bug sprays.